Thursday 20 August 2009

Lentils with aubergines




I pretty much made this up as I had some aubergines I had to use.

Ingredients (serves 4-5)
Lentils (I always measure by soup bowl, in this case 1)
2 aubergines cut in chunks (see pics)
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 onion, cut in strips
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4-5 bay leaves
2 cans of chopped tomato, or a kilo of very ripe tomatoes, chopped (keep the juices)
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

In a large saucepan, boil the lentils for about 30-40 minutes, until you're happy with them. In the meantime, shallow fry the garlic, onions and bay leaves, add the aubergines and celery and stir so they're nicely coated with oil. Keep cooking like that for about 10 minutes. Add the tomato plus some water, salt & pepper and let it simmer gently for 30 minutes or so.

When the lentils are cooked, drain them and throw them in with the aubergines (if the aubergines are ready). Turn off and allow to rest for a while (the longer the better), so that the lentils can absorb the juices of the aubergines... I didn't have fresh parsley but if you do add some nicely fresh, chopped parsley just before serving.

Serve with a generous portion of set yoghurt, yummy!

Made with Slideshow Embed Tool


2 comments:

Biluś said...

Liking this! I also like the slideshow embed tool thingy - I think this points up the notion quite clearly that food and desire for food is extremely visual - and you make every step of the way tempting here :-)

Blackbeard said...

Thanks Bilus! It is indeed visual, I completely agree...